Harrell Stoebner & Russell PC | Attorneys at Law

Offices Located In Temple And Killeen | Se Habla Español
Call To Schedule A Consultation: 254-935-3036

Lawyers Focused On Your Best Interests

Do you want to revert back to your maiden name after divorce?

On Behalf of | Sep 20, 2021 | Family Law |

As you end your marriage, there are a lot of decisions you have to make. One of them is deciding if you are going to keep your married name or revert to your maiden name. In Texas, you have the right to do either. However, if you do decide to change your name, timing is everything.  

When should I file to change my name? 

The best time to request to change your name is before your divorce is finalized. That way, when all is said and done, your maiden name can be restored as part of your final divorce decree. There is no reason why a judge would refuse to make the change, and there won’t be nearly as many hoops to jump through to get it done.  

Why change my name? 

The only why” here is your own. You have to decide if reverting back to your maiden name is important to you. Legally there is no benefit to changing your name. It all comes down to what you want.  

What if I don’t make the request before the divorce is finalized? 

In the state of Texas, you are still allowed to request to change your name after your divorce proceedings have ended. You will have to fill out the proper forms and be prepared to show a lot of identifying documents. It just may take more time to accomplish than had you made the request as part of your divorce settlement.  

Get help 

If you aren’t sure how to go about requesting to change your name, the good news is, you don’t have to figure it out on your own. Talk to your attorney about it if it is something you are thinking about or know you want to get done. An experienced family law attorney will know how to make the request and can help you with the process. To learn more, please take a moment and visit our firm’s website.  


FindLaw Network
Harrell Stoebner & Russell PC

Meet Our Attorneys